Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Falling down blue...

Ohhhh dear - as my friend Jon would say.

I have been away for far too long. My desire to hone my writing skills apparently slipped behind my obsession with growing tomatoes on my balcony (from scratch! that's right, I germinated!) and the ever-present temptation of a glass of wine or a Guiness and good conversation.

But the chill is back in the air. I foresee many hot cups of [organic, shade-grown, fair trade] coffee and regular blogging in my near future. I have many summer adventures to write about, reflect on... but I will be definitely be sorry to say goodbye to warm sunny afternoons spent napping and reading the paper outside.

Kind of down of late - will be doing my best to pick myself up as the leaves come falling down around me. So please excuse any excessive brooding.

Read this:
A carbon-tax-fuelled recession: Nothing but hot air?

An article in the Globe this past weekend discussed Stevie Harper's claims that the Liberals proposed carbon tax would jettison our economy off the deep end and into a recession. Economists at U of Calgary and Simon Fraser say that neither party's climate change plans would inflict significant economic pain. The Liberal carbon tax proposal (which does not include gasoline) would see much of the carbon tax revenues collected funnelled back to individuals and corporations in the form of tax cuts. This is in line with several articles I read while at RRU discussing how to achieve climate change results using economic policy.

And for the record: one of the economists notes that the Liberal plan would likely outperform the Conservative one when it comes to achieving emissions reductions due to several structural flaws that would render the Tory plan ineffective.

Consider these things at the poll people!

No comments: