Thursday, December 07, 2006

Crazy Talk

Typical weeknight in the post-residency life of a MAPC-IIC…

[9:12:54 PM] Amy Gibson says: I’ve got zero words still. I’m sick. I’m tired. Help meeeeeeeeeeeee.

[9:21:22 PM] Danielle Vlemmiks says: I will be on comp for loooooong times……

[9:44:49 PM] Melanie Love says: Hate my life.

[10:15:24 PM] Amy Gibson says: How many words do we need again????? I am at… wait for it… 63 words including the title page. Damn it!

[10:40:03 PM] Melanie Love says: 1000 to 1500 words. Aim for 1000.

[11:05:36 PM] Danielle Vlemmiks says: 1600 words and counting!! (crazy high-pitched squeal)

[11:29:16 PM] Melanie Love says: I can’t do this anymore. I’m going to bed!

[1:48:23 AM] Amy Gibson says: Will someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

[2:02:17 AM] Danielle Vlemmiks says: Finished! Only 2985 words!!

[2:58:47 AM] Melanie Love says: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……..


So here I am, yet again, maniacally laughing at my laptop screen, sitting in a local coffee spot… but not my favourite coffee spot… because my favourite coffee spot is not open as late as this particular coffee spot… and when you are desperately trying to find the words to describe issues you have not actually had time to research (read: trying to pull an academic paper out you-know-where), you need enough caffeine to sustain you into the wee hours of the night.

Come to think of it, perhaps I am cut out for journalism. Late nights, missed meals, deadlines, coming up with brilliant insight based on a sliver of knowledge… I have become an expert in all of these areas.


Dani V. has likened our RRU residency to the terrorist training academy described by Claude in our course text. I would have to agree. The campus is isolated, completely removed from society and full of academic fanatics who rant about auto-ethnography and the perversion of fireworks. Training (I mean, learning) was arduous. We became hardened, bitter fighters (I mean, students) over the course of the three weeks. We celebrated upon finishing, and Dani ran through the training camp (I mean, she skipped around the Blue Pearl). The only difference? We photographed peacocks, while Claude photographed RPGs.

No comments: